Monday, April 05, 2010

Creeking

I've always liked Jonathan Creek, not entirely sure why, but I suppose it must be mainly due to the intricacies of the plot and the infuriating plots that are unravelled by the end.

Writing a JC must be a case of plotting backwards from the ridiculous explanation to the set up at the beginning but this does mean that the story (as most mysteries do) lives and dies by its explanation.

Last night's had all the hallmarks of a good solid, spooky mystery but had to be explained with sudden last minute bits of information the audience had no access to until we were merely told about them. Other, better JC's involve the possibility of solving the mystery yourself, although of course you rarely do.

In other plotting news, I finished Midnight's Children yesterday and have to say I thoroughly enjoyed it. I seem to have read a lot of long books this year so far, which takes up more time in the way I do enjoy 'ploughing' through novels, but there is something very enjoyable about spending a long time really getting involved in a story, and satisfying about finishing it.

And, in a nice finish to a blog all about writing, this is my 500th blog post (500!). All these words, thoughts, ideas, ridiculousness, and not a penny to show for it! Ho hum.

No comments:

Widgets